Wednesday, September 23, 2009

32 week Appointment

I had a wonderful visit with Dr. Pohl today. I got measured and was 32cm....right on track. The heart rate was still found below the belly button which indicates the baby is still head down and it was 155....higher than it has ever been, at least since my first visits. He said this could be because the baby is very active at this time or the fact that I was STARVING and so was he or she!

I had questions about the wonderful topic of episiotomies, when he starts to check my progress towards the end and any restrictions he has during labor. He said he is not a doctor that just automatically cuts...which made me SO HAPPY! From our classes, the nurse gave us the impression that doctors do whatever is easiest for them and that usually means the procedure is done. I was so glad to hear that my doctor really wants what is best for his patients.

About the checking my progress towards the end, Dr. Pohl said he runs some tests at 36 weeks and then does the normal check for any thinning or dilating at 38 weeks. He let me know that once I hit 40 weeks, if I do, I can be induced on that day or wait as long as I want, it is up to me. Since I really want the labor to progress naturally, I don't think I would even consider induction until 41 weeks or October 21st because it can be much more painful. Everything with my pregnancy seems to be going right on track, so I am not worried at all.

Since I am going to do this labor thing natural as long as I can, I wanted to make sure I knew what I could and couldn't do during labor, especially with the tub. I have heard that the tub can be a great relaxation tool and can relieve a ton of pressure during contractions. He said as long as I am not pushing, I can be in the tub! Another great thing.

Other than my appointment, these last couple weeks I have been experiencing a ton more pressure because of the baby's head being down. I have found doing squats at night really helps with the pressure the next day. And squats help prepare my body more for labor....so I am hitting two birds with one stone.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Congrats on everthing going so well! You are almost there!

momofbugs said...

I am glad to hear everything is going well with you, baby and house. Can't wait to see everything and everyone in a few weeks. With all the prep to the house I would be surprised if you were overdue.