Monday, February 27, 2012

God spoke as follows to Noah and his sons,
'I am now establishing my covenant with you and with your descendants to come,
and with every living creature that was with you: birds, cattle and every wild animal with you; everything that came out of the ark, every living thing on earth.

And I shall maintain my covenant with you: that never again shall all living things be destroyed by the waters of a flood, nor shall there ever again be a flood to devastate the earth.'
 'And this', God said, 'is the sign of the covenant which I now make between myself and you and every living creature with you for all ages to come:
I now set my bow in the clouds and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
When I gather the clouds over the earth and the bow appears in the clouds,
I shall recall the covenant between myself and you and every living creature, in a word all living things, and never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all living things.
Genesis 9: 8-13


And I absolutely loved my devotional for this past Sunday in line with this reading...hope you like it, too!


God gave us his covenant.  A covenant is deeper and more personal than a legal contract.  It promises that each party will give 100% of themselves to keeping their promise, even if the other person breaks the bargain.


Notice that God says "when" the clouds come.  Hard times come to us all.  God's covenant, his 100% personal guarantee, is shown in the rainbow.  It bridges heaven and earth, a beautiful reminder that we will never be abandoned.


Jesus Christ is the tangible fulfillment of just how personally God takes his covenant.  He transforms the sign of the rainbow into a person, real God and real man.  We longer need the ethereal rainbow to remind us of God's promises.  We have the solid promises of our Savior as we travel through the season of Lent.


~Lord, Open My Heart~
Julie Davis

No comments: