Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What are you giving up for Lent?

I know, I know.....a lot of you aren't Catholic....but giving something up for Lent is a tradition Catholics do as a sacrifice during the 40 days and 40 night Jesus was in the desert before his Resurrection. Maybe this year....give something up. It is way harder than you think!


I am sure many of you have heard the typical....I am giving up sweets or soda or junk food....as an attempt to help that person loose some weight or something during this time....a kind of hit two birds with one stone if you will. Still a sacrifice, but this year I wanted to do something more....a Real Sacrifice for myself!

Many people give something up or some do something more during these 40 days, the Lenten Season, leading up to Easter. I decided to do some of both. In looking at my life, I have found that one thing is a real treat for me and something I totally do too much of (a bad habit), something that is not health, physically and financially. I eat out way too much! I love going out to dinner....I love watching a game and eating wings and drinking a beer (Taco Mac to be exact)....I love a good glass of wine with amazing Italian Food (Dominick's to be exact)...I love Chick-fil-a for everything (To be Exact)....I love it! And I shouldn't! I am not saying that you shouldn't enjoy a night out or really good food.....but I do it when financially I shouldn't. Guilty! So for these next 40 days, I will not be eating out! Not for any reason. So if you invite me....don't be offended when I say a big fat No....with a frown! But, I really do think this will be good for me in the end.

And as something to do in addition. As a Catholic, I am given a million wonderful tools to bring myself closer to God....ways to love Him more, to learn more about Him, to follow Him better....and I take advantage of none them. Shame on me. There is the Rosary, Adoration, Apologetics, the Catechism, and the list could go on forever. And I do none on a regular basis. So for this season, I will going to Confession once a week. Confession is such a wonderful gift that God has given to me, to all of us, and I don't even take advantage of it....but I am going to. There is no feeling like the one when you leave confession.....Like the elephant in the room has run far, far away. It is amazing!


So, what are you giving up as a sacrifice to honor the Ultimate Sacrifice?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

To most people this will almost sound humorous but i think it will have so many position implications in my life and i am actually exited for the challenge. I am going to give up facebook for lent. Not only do i stalk facebook and allow it to consume much of my time but it also has had a way within the last few months of putting me in a funk and i am ready to rid my life of that and hopefully the feelings that it has been creating.

Anonymous said...

I am giving up caffeine and candy, some things I partake too much in :) ...but most importantly, I'm giving up fear! I am consumed by fear, and I know that giving it up will cause me to focus solely on God and rely on Him to help me get through-to truly turn everything over to Him!

Anonymous said...

I am giving up the radio in my car to allow time to just listen... and chat with the little man in the backseat, too! :)

Mrs. S said...

Good luck with not eating out! I know that it wil be hard for us. We are going to try to go to the church Stations of the Cross and Fish Fry on Fridays when we would normally go out!!

Caroline said...

I'm giving up facebook and Chick Fil A!