Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On a Mission!

Lately, I have been having issues finding "community" in Gulf Shores. Not to say that there was not any when I moved here, but the madness of wedding season has finally died down and Zach and I are not traveling every weekend. So, I have finally realized how little there was to do around here. Since GS is so seasonal, the summers are great and packed with fun concerts, festivals, and events every day it seemed like. But now that it is fall turning to winter....the town is DEAD and full of snowbirds! This has really taken a toll on me. I come from Atlanta, a place where there is ALWAYS something going on and friends are all around to hang out with. Then, I moved to Tuscaloosa, where I worked and went to school and had a ball being so busy that the years just FLEW by. Now, I feel like time drags on sometimes. So this week I have off from work and it is my mission to become more involved and meet some people!

Today, Zach and I joined the local rec center, The Bodenhamer Center. Not only would it be nice to shed a couple pounds, but I thought this might be a good way to interact with other people possibly our age and meet some locals. I am really excited about it because I love to work out. It may be hard to get me there at first, but once I am there, I love how I feel when I am done. Plus..."exercise gives you endorphins and edorphins make you happy!"

My second attempt to become more involved is to find a church. I have been going to a church, when we are actually in town, in Gulf Shores, but have not been able to connect, so to speak. So, I am going to try a church in Foley, where there are more families and residents. We will see how this works. Since Zach and I are not the same faith, I have decide to research and try to find a church in the area that he might enjoy going to as well. Zach has been so great in supporting my faith and going to church with me, but I also want him to be able to grow in his own faith. In Orange Beach, there is a church that I have been hearing wonders about! It is called Christian Life Church ( http://www.clcwired.com/ ). After hearing such good things, I decided to go online and do some research. I loved their mission and really felt that it was something that applied to Zach and myself. Their website was so informative and really what I was hoping to find. There are so many activites to get involved in and I really hope we like it when we visit this Sunday. So we have a crazy Sunday ahead of us....first we have Worship Service at CLC at 8:30 then off to Mass at St. Margaret of Scotland at 10:30....then maybe we will go work out. That might be pushing it :)

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get involved, I would be more than happy to hear them!

5 comments:

Life throws you surprises! said...

I find that having kids gets you really involved in things and you meet lots of people.....maybe you should work on that :) JK
Volunteer work if there is time for that. Maybe a one day class or something like that.

Redneck Geologist said...

You need to blog more. You aren't blogging enough. That will really help!!! And take a photography class.

Life throws you surprises! said...

We could take a photography class together after the new year. That would be a blast. Look for one in your area that maybe is a one day on the weekend and I will be there. :)

Redneck Geologist said...

I went to a very good and very inexpensive photography class given at a high school in my area. There are also very affordable courses in communiversities. Check it out.

Unknown said...

I looked and the closest one I could find is in Mobile...not to far and we could leave the kids with Zach...I am sure he would love that :)