Sunday, January 25, 2009

Not so Disasterous

I didn't let our awful hummus get me down.....I tried at the "cooking" thing again tonight and it was quite a success, if I do say so myself. A couple weekends ago, I was up at Crystal's and she was cooking something out of Paula Dean's Kitchen Classics Cookbook. Me...not quite the cook she is, remembers that I have that cookbook at home....of course it was gathering dust in the cabinet. So, I decided to find the easiest thing to make from it and see if I could do it. I made meatloaf tonight and it was delicious and so easy. I got some more ingredients from the store to make some of her other recipes so hopefully I will have the same success. Here is the recipe...and you should definitely get this cookbook!

Serves 4

1 lb. ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup bell pepper (I forget this part but was still really good...don't tell Zach :))
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice (of course I didn't read the directions...what's new and drained the juice...still really good though)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients well and place in baking dish....meaning get your hands dirty!

Topping (best part...really made it delicious)

1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake 1 hour. SO easy, so good!

2 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Oh no Phoebe what happened!

Phoebe: "I got the hummus!"

Did you see that episode of Friends? That is what your hummus blogs remind me of.

Hollyhand House said...

You will be addicted before long and cooking out of that book every night! I love it! Everything out of there is wonderful!