Sunday, April 18, 2010

Do you love me this much?

First....HAPPY SUNDAY.....I love Sundays!
Second......I have had a reoccurring thought in my head today!

LOVE!

In the Gospel at Mass this morning, Jesus appeared to his disciples a 3rd time after His resurrection. And Jesus took Simon Peter aside and asked,

'Simon son of John, do you love me more than these others do?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my lambs.'

A second time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' He replied, 'Yes, Lord, you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Look after my sheep.'

Then he said to him a third time, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter was hurt that he asked him a third time, 'Do you love me?' and said, 'Lord, you know everything; you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep.


Saint Peter, the same Simon Peter here, was the first leader of the early Christian Church....the 1st Pope of the Catholic Church.....This is the same Peter who denied Jesus three times.....and Jesus forgave him and asked him to lead his people....his sheep! Jesus asked him 3 times on his 3rd visit (I love that everything having to do with Jesus has a number association...I do this all the time) if he loved Him....I think he really wanted to get His point across to Peter...to the point that it hurt Peter's feelings.

I love that my religion has such history.....history leading all the way back to being face to face with Jesus himself. The 1st Pope of my Church was Jesus' bud! I mean, how cool is that!

Anywho....it made me think....would Jesus ask me 3 times if I love him or would He have to ask more or less? Would Jesus ask....do you love me more than all others.....do you love me more than money, a job, a vacation, a new outfit....do you love me more than all earthly things? How much do you love me? How would I answer....how would you answer?

And then love came up again in song....of course...this song would be on my soundtrack! I love it!



Just something to ponder.....How much do you love Jesus?

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Rebecca, I love reading your blog! You honsetly are inspiring and encouraging esp with post like this that help me to reflect on my relationship with the Lord. I left you an award on my blog. mskristirae.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog is lovely! I was passing over a few blogs to see if I was doing mine right - I am a blog new-bee.
With only one follower - looks sad. -lol


Heather